When asked which is the oldest city in China, people may
think of Beijing since it was the capital of 5 dynasties in the history of
China. But, Xi’an, also known as Chang’an, was not only the capital of the most
important dynasties in Chinese history such as Qin, Sui and Tang, but also the
east terminus of Silk Road and home to the Terracotta Army. Personally, I love
it a lot and am proud of it being my hometown.
One of the places I must go every time I visit my hometown is
Xi’an City Wall. Locating in the downtown area, it provides you with both the
scent of a modern city and its deep cultural details. Of the four gates it has
(South, North, West, East), I highly recommend the South gate (Bei Lin Qu Nan
Men) . Not only because it is the oldest gate among the four (it was built in
Sui Dynasty, about 1,600 years ago), but also because you can rent bikes (about
$8 for every 100 mins) here and take a ride on the ancient wall.
Inside the City Wall, there were no longer ancient palaces.
Instead, many pseudo classic architectures were built in recent years. Tourists
were walking around and taking photos, old people were playing chess or Taiji,
and streets were crowded with cars and buses. It was somehow hard for me to
imagine how it looked like thousands of years ago. But standing on the ancient
bricks alone let me feel the profound cultural heritage. Outside the City Wall,
Xi’an looks nothing different than a modern city—sky scrappers and busy
traffic. I started my bike touring from the South Gate, and spent about 30
minutes riding on the wall and got back to where I started.
Feeling a little bit hungry after the “long” bicycle ride,
I indulged myself into trying different kinds of tasty food.
It’s good to be back home!



One thing that I think is great about Xi'an is it represents "real ancient China". For Beijing, I felt like the Qing palace and the Tian'an'men Square do not show us what "Han-Chinese" look like. The museums in Xi'an are also Fancy. You can see things back in Han Dynasty! What do you think Stephanie?
ReplyDeleteI've never been to China, but I feel like like I've gotten to know it a little better. I like how you compare the anicient and majestic part of the city to the mundane everyday cityscape and lifestyle. The way you compare the two really shows your favor of the rustic parts of the city.
ReplyDelete